[texhax] Fractional super/subscripts in pdf bookmarks

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Fri Dec 20 22:52:31 CET 2013

On 2013-12-20 at 12:11:09 -0800, William F Hammond wrote:

 > Previously:
 >
 > > Since bookmarks are only plain text (no formatting etc)
 > > and Unicode does not encode any superscripts (the Unicode
 > > "superscripts" are linguistic symbols, not a way to format
 > > superscripts in plain text), I think the only "clean"
 > > solution is to rewrite the expression in a way the does
 > > not require superscripts at all (at least for the
 > > bookmarks part). I personally would just avoid math
 > > formulas in section titles altogether.
 >
 > There are those who say it is a matter of good taste not to
 > put math and textscripts in section titles.
 >
 > That aside, speaking without checking things out, I would
 > hope that pdf bookmarks are taken from the (toc) option of
 > \section[]{} and, therefore, one need only provide a toc
 > version of the title that is free of math and textscripts.

\textorpdfstring is certainly the better choice because there is no
need to distinguish between section titles and TOC entries, at least
in most cases.

What IMO is more problematic is that section titles are usually
typeset in bold face and math formulas are not.  Thus in most cases
it's better to avoid math in section titles.  There is a similar
problem with typewriter fonts too.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25