[texhax] Why isn't plain.tex plain.web? Is there some option for up-dating it?

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Wed Aug 21 16:47:13 CEST 2013

With luatex and xetex rushing towards maturity, I've been wondering --- could one do a minimal TeX installation oriented for the 21st century and Unicode? The Fonts directory is _huge_ and I believe switching to just OpenType would eliminate a lot of overhead.

Or am I mis-understanding, and would this sort of change need to be effected at a lower level?

It seems like this would be a good thing to do for LaTeX3 (or does it not use plain.tex? I'm subscribed to the LaTeX3 mailing list, but am a bit hazy on the details).

William
(who really should be working on as-yet-unfinished-projects rather than wondering about new ones)

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer