[texhax] Typesetting (long) division questions

Barbara Beeton bnb at ams.org
Thu Mar 15 14:29:08 CET 2012

hubert lam asks,

    I know that there is a longdiv.tex that is widely available (written by
    Barbara Beeton) which fills in all the blanks, and the xlop package that
    will do it in the (French?) way.

    However would there be something where I could easily typeset it without
    all the "answers" that Barbara's longdiv command produces?

    (See: http://www.atscire.de/index.php?nav=products/polynom)

on tex live, there is a file longdiv.tex that
does the calculations; it's by donald arseneau,
not barbara beeton.  all i claim responsibility
for is the idea for using a sized right-hand
parenthesis to make the output look decent.

i'm not sure what you mean by "all the answers".
is what you want just the quotient and the
remainder?
						-- bb