[texhax] XMLTex

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Thu Jun 7 15:13:09 CEST 2012

On Jun 7, 2012, at 3:03 AM, Varaprasad Bodducherla, Prakash Rao wrote:

> When can we expect latex3 (with full xmltex) in the market?

AIUI, XMLtex isn't a formal part of the LaTeX project --- it's ``just'' a package of macros.

Certainly the search:

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=site:latex-project.org/+xml&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

doesn't reveal much.

There shouldn't be a reason that xmltex wouldn't work w/ lualatex though (I have used it w/ xelatex) --- David Carlisle (the developer) has stated in the past that a lot of the complexity is in handling UTF-8, so a version for a modern TeX could be much simpler and arguably work better.

In the near term you'd likely be better served by using ConTeXt --- Hans Hagen has frequently presented on publishing w/ XML using ConTeXt.

I'd like to see a better XML publishing w/ LaTeX solution, simply 'cause I'm not getting any traction in learning ConTeXt and have a lot invested in learning LaTeX.

Typesetting from XML directly seems a lot more straight-forward on the surface than using an XSLT to convert to TeX which is the usual suggestion....

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer