[texhax] Index of Notations

Axel E. Retif axel.retif at mac.com
Sat Jun 2 23:18:58 CEST 2012

On 06/02/2012 10:37 AM, Fernando Gouvea wrote:

> I'm writing a mathematics book and have been asked to provide an index
> of notations. This would presumably have all the notations used in the
> book, with definitions, so it might be more like a glossary than an
> index, though of course if it's possible to include a reference to a
> page where the notation is defined that might be added value.
>
> A quick browse on CTAN didn't reveal any packages specifically written
> for this purpose. Not wanting to reinvent the wheel, I thought I would
> ask if anyone has done this.

I think you might find useful the glossaries package, by Dr. Nicola
Talbot; she has prepared a very thorough documentation:

http://ctan.tug.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/glossaries

If you have a recent TeX et al. distribution, chances are you already
have the package and documentation; v.gr., in Linux TeXLive distro,

/usr/local/texlive/2011/texmf-dist/doc/latex/glossaries

In there, there is also a very useful samples directory.

Best

Axel