[texhax] hyperref error

Heiko Oberdiek heiko.oberdiek at googlemail.com
Sat Jul 28 00:40:55 CEST 2012

On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 09:09:05PM +0000, Nitecki, Zbigniew H. wrote:

> I have an index entry for "semi-major axis" which appears to generate an error when hyper ref is operating:
> Undefined control sequence.
> <argument> \semi
>                  -major
> l.63 \hyperindexformat{\semi-major}{124}
>                                           ,
> ?
>
> I presume I need somehow to protect my entry (currently of the form
> \index{semi-major axis}) so that hyper ref reads it as a single "word".
> What is the proper syntax for this?

The following file runs without problems:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{makeidx}
\makeindex
\usepackage{hyperref}
\begin{document}
Hello\index{semi-major axis}
\printindex
\end{document}

Probably you have something like

  \index{foo|semi-major}

That means, that the page number of "foo" should be formatted
with command "\semi-major". See the documentation of Makeindex.

Thus check page 124 for \index commands with "semi-major" and "|".

Yours sincerely
  Heiko Oberdiek