[texhax] Fonts for Beginners

Pierre MacKay pierre.mackay at comcast.net
Thu Jul 26 02:34:24 CEST 2012

On 07/25/2012 05:04 PM, Paul Stanley wrote:
> > I'm not sure what you mean by `accessible' [...]
>
> It means the text isn't accessible to a screen reader user i.e. a
> blind person or anyone with a disability that makes them reliant on
> text-to-speech programs.  PDFs can be a pain in the neck to read with
> a screen reader.  Even when the file is properly tagged the text has
> to be extracted and sometimes the process results in what I call
> screen reader blackouts.  In short, PDFs are not very popular with
> blind people.
That is very interesting, and not widely known, or rather deduced, by
people like myself.

How satisfactory is LibreOffice odt?  There are times when it would be
useful for me  to know that.  I suppose one fairly sure way to get
hearable text with a minimum of interference is to drop it into a gedit
file as pure, barely formatted text.

Pierre MacKay