[texhax] extracting a plain text file of the final document

Victor Ivrii vivrii at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 13:33:54 CET 2012

On Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 6:14 AM, Philip TAYLOR <chaa006 at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> "It" being "pdftotext", not Xpdf itself, of course ...
>>>

>> Are you sure? May I ask you to
>>
>> % which pdftotext
>

> By all means, but I am afraid the answer is very predictable :
>
>>> F:\TeX\Projects\****> which pdftotext
>>> 'which' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
>>> operable program or batch file.
>

>> and version number?

On the main Linux computer of our Dept

/usr/bin/pdftotext
pdftotext version 3.00
Copyright 1996-2004 Glyph & Cog, LLC

as it came from RHEL and there is no other pdftotext at all despite
having TL2010 and 2011

On my Macs it is
/usr/local/bin/pdftotext
pdftotext version 0.17.2
Copyright 2005-2011 The Poppler Developers - http://poppler.freedesktop.org
Copyright 1996-2004 Glyph & Cog, LLC

as I installed by myself compiling poppler.

I am not sure that CML utilities of xpdf are part of TL. On the other
hand while compiling xpdf could be tricky, these utilities come out
easily
pdffonts
pdfimages
pdfinfo