[texhax] Problems using locally installed fonts

Giovanni Cone giantcone at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 22:32:48 CET 2012

Hello fellow TeXnicians:

   I've installed the Libertine-legacy package into a local directory
on my system ( /local/texmf in particular ).  I have ran both "texhash
/local/texmf", and the
"updmap --enable
Map=/local/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/libertine-legacy/libertine.map"
commands.  These seemed to do the proper job of creating a local
.texmf-config and .texmf-var in my home directory.  I've also ensured
that I've set the environment variable TEXINPUTS to
".//:/local/texmf//:" to include my local
installation of the Libertine-legacy package.  Unfortunately, it seems
that not all is well, as when I attempt to use it in a simple LaTeX
file by using the following lines:

<CODE>
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{libertine}
</CODE>

 **And then I try to compile it with either "latex" or "pdflatex", I
get the following:

<QUOTE>
(/local/texmf/tex/latex/libertine-legacy/t1fxl.fd)kpathsea: Running
mktextfm fxlr-t1
/usr/share/texmf/web2c/mktexnam: Could not map typeface abbreviation
xl for fxlr-t1.
/usr/share/texmf/web2c/mktexnam: Need to update
/usr/share/texmf/fonts/map/fontname/special.map?
mktextfm: Running mf-nowin -progname=mf \mode:=ljfour; mag:=1;
nonstopmode; input fxlr-t1
This is METAFONT, Version 2.71828 (Web2C 7.5.4)

kpathsea: Running mktexmf fxlr-t1
! I can't find file `fxlr-t1'.
<*> ...=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input fxlr-t1

Please type another input file name
! Emergency stop.
<*> ...=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input fxlr-t1

Transcript written on mfput.log.
grep: fxlr-t1.log: No such file or directory
mktextfm: `mf-nowin -progname=mf \mode:=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode;
input fxlr-t1' failed to make fxlr-t1.tfm.
kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.

! Font T1/fxl/m/n/12=fxlr-t1 at 12.0pt not loadable: Metric (TFM) file
not found.
</QUOTE>

  Is there some other enviroment variable akin to TEXINPUTS that I
should set to get the search path for TeX fonts correct?  Is something
else amiss?

--
Giovanni "Vann" Antonio Cone
Fanta Sé, Provincia de Nuevo México