[texhax] Anything yet available to produce PDF/A ?

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Wed Feb 22 23:54:02 CET 2012

    Acrobat Pro is only used to verify that it's compliant:
    > Acrobat 8.0 for pdf/a validation

FWIW, I just read in an article from Claudio (Beccari) that this is not
a reliable way to perform the check.  I trust Claudio won't mind if I
quote his paragraph:

  Of course the last step is to check PDF/A compliance with a reliable
  program, such as Preflight. Please do not trust the information issued
  by Adobe Reader~X when it opens a PDF file that pretends to be
  PDF/A-compliant. The information is a wish, in the sense that the
  statement might be true, but the document has not been really tested in
  every remote corner of its compliance. So the real message should not
  be: ``This file is PDF/A compliant'', but: ``This file might be PDF/A
  compliant''.

Unfortunately, neither Claudio nor I are aware of any free software tool
(e.g., Ghostscript-based) that can test compliance.  If anyone else is,
we'd love to know.

karl