[texhax] texhash trouble in TL on Ubuntu

Hefferon, James S. jhefferon at smcvt.edu
Thu Aug 16 15:21:33 CEST 2012

> That is standard I guess, the root user is not using the same PATH as
the regular users.

I understand that it varies between Linux distributions.  But Ubuntu is popular and so many people may see the behavior.

> On my systems I have a specific LaTeX user who owns the LaTeX
installation, thus I do not have to run anything as root. I think this
provide a better security.

That sounds reasonable to me.  What is involved besides creating the user and chown-ing the subdirectory tree?
You must need to run texhash as "sudo -ulatexuser texhash".  Anything else?  Any special settings for PATH or EDITOR
for that user?  Any executables that need to be suid?  Do you need to set the stuff to have the latexuser group also?
Any other stuff that need to be that user (for instance, asymptote?)?

Jim