[texhax] Hyperref and subfig

Vladimir Lomov lomov.vl at gmail.com
Sun Aug 5 15:54:56 CEST 2012

Hello,

** Christopher Skeels [2012-08-05 10:27:41 +0000]:

> Dear All,

> I have updated the hyperref bundle so that I now have hyper ref
> v6.82v, an update from v6.82q.  The update is dated 2012/07/29.  Part
> of this update has seen nameref.sty updated.  In particular, the
> function \strip at period from nameref.sty has been (slightly) redefined
> and and, importantly, renamed \NR at strip@period.  So now the hyperref
> specific code in subfig.sty no longer works, as \strip at period is now
> undefined.  Specifically, I now get the following error message when
> compiling a file that has not had this problem before:

> ! Undefined control sequence.
> <recently read> \strip at period

> l.1732 ...degraphics{PowerSESDGM2}\label{fig:pc5}}

> For my current purposes I can workaround the problem by reverting to
> the older version of hyperref.  However, this doesn't seem to be a
> great longer term solution and ideally it would be better to find a
> patch for subfig.  There is a second complication that arises, this
> paper is co-authored with someone whose tex installation won't be
> updated any time soon and so any solution that I find has to be aware
> of the version of nameref.sty that will actually be loaded and react
> accordingly.  I have tried something like to following, to appear in
> the preamble after both subfig and then hyperref have been loaded:*

> \makeatletter
>    \AtBeginDocument{\@ifpackagelater{nameref}{2012/07/28}{\def\strip at period#1.\relax#2\@nil{#1}}{\relax}}
> \makeatother

> This throws a different error, namely:

> ! Argument of \strip at period has an extra }.
> <inserted text>
>                 \par
> l.1732 ...degraphics{PowerSESDGM2}\label{fig:pc5}}

> My knowledge of TeX is proving insufficient to see what is wrong here.
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

> Cheers, Chris.

> * This is the original definition of \strip at period.  I have also tried
> to give the definition of \NR at strip@period but the outcome is pretty
> much the same.

This isn't direct answer to your question, but I recommend to read the
following thread on texlive ML:
http://tug.org/pipermail/tex-live/2012-August/032046.html

May be it help you find another workaround.

---
WBR, Vladimir Lomov

--
Can't act.  Slightly bald.  Also dances.
		-- RKO executive, reacting to Fred Astaire's screen test.