[texhax] Thoughts on Text Figures (Old Style Numbers)

Robert Wilson millstadtf at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 22:21:08 CEST 2011

Hello,
   I am soliciting opinions on the use of old style numbers via
\oldstylenums{}; namely, how often do you use them? I have started
using them in situations where I would use lower-case letters;
however, in practice this means I use them more often than title
figures. Can anyone point me to a decent style guide on when to use
them?

Here is my current scheme:
-When part of body text or when otherwise in the context of lowercase
text, I use old style numbers.
-When part of titles, in the context of uppercase text (e.g. Table 3),
or in a numeric context (e.g. table of primarily numeric data or in
equations), I use "normal" title figures.

Does anyone care to refine this process?

Sincerely,
Bob Wilson