[texhax] clash between a class file & the abbrevs package

Donald Arseneau asnd at triumf.ca
Thu Sep 22 10:05:07 CEST 2011

Vladimir Lomov <lomov.vl at gmail.com> writes:

> Details: the problem underlies in `abrrevs.cfg'. That file uses `relsize'
> package and redefines \DateMarkSize using the `relsize' command. Seems
> that machinery used by `relsize' package can't work with font sizing
> commands defined by the [ijac] class.

ijac class has its own unique font size selection system using macros
\ijac at choosefont and \zihao.  Then: \def\normalsize{\zihao{5-}}%

What surprised me was that relsize broke, instead of failing with the
warning:

Package relsize Warning: Failed to get list of font sizes.
(relsize)                Falling back to old definition on input line 81.

The definition of \normalsize was just too short for the attempt to
"read" and parse the definition.

After fixing that, relsize still won't work with ijac because ijac's
font selection does not define \@currsize, so it has no memory of
what size-command is in effect.  Relsize warns:

Package relsize Warning: Current font size is unknown! (Why?!?)
(relsize)                Assuming \normalsize on input line 9.

It would probably be better for relsize to fall back on exact scaling
in the face of unfamiliar font size management.

Donald Arseneau                          asnd at triumf.ca