[texhax] quotation marks with babel in LuaLaTeX

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Tue Sep 20 14:12:00 CEST 2011

Am Tue, 20 Sep 2011 13:05:45 +0200 schrieb Arno Trautmann:

>>> Ah, thanks, I totally forgot about that package as I never use it …

>>> But … if I have « » on my keyboard, I don't need csquotes? …

>> Well compile the document to see what csquotes is doing. Or better
>> compile this one:

> I did and it works fine. My point was: If I have the symbols »« on my
> input device, most probably I also have „“” etc., so I (at least me
> personally) will just use that character and will not let a package do
> that work.

Well I use «» for *all* quotes: german quotes („“), german
(single) quotes. This means I don't have to worry about language and
inner/outer quotes. Also I don't have to worry about style: if I
want german guillemets instead of the normal quotes I can simply
change it in the preamble, I don't have to run a search and replace.

With csquotes I separe meaning ("quote this word") from the look
("do it with french guillemets").

Also I don't have «» on my keyboard, instead I'm using a shortcut
(alt+q) in my editor to surround a selected text (or a word) with
the quotes. It would be rather difficult to setup shortcuts for the
various quoting variants.

--
Ulrike Fischer