[texhax] \include Chapter1} does not work

John C Frain frainj at gmail.com
Sat Oct 22 01:44:26 CEST 2011

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: John C Frain <frainj at gmail.com>
Date: 22 October 2011 00:41
Subject: Re: [texhax] \include Chapter1} does not work
To: Adolf Giger <ajgiger at comcast.net>

There is some kind of missunderstanding here.

If test.tes is the master file it should contain something like

\documentclass{book}
\includeonly{chap1}
%\includeonly{chap2}

\begin{document}
\titlepage
\title{Title of Book}
\author{AJG}
\maketitle

\include{chap1}
\include{chap2}

\end{document}

Then chap1.tex will contain

\chapter{Chapter 1 Title}
Chapter 1 text follows here

(ie the contents are the same as if they were included in the main
document and extracted to this file.

Following your scheme chap2.tex will contain

\chapter{Chapter 2 Title}
Chapter 2 text follows here

If a (master) LaTeX file contains seveal \include statements the
compile may be restricted to the master file and those files listed in
an \includeonly statements in the preamble to the master file.

For the purpose of a LaTeX run Latex proceeds as if the \include file
is simply inserted in the masterfile at the point of the \include
statement.  If the preamble contains a \includeonly statement only the
files listed in that statement are "included".

I hope that this helps

Best Regards

John

John C Frain