[texhax] A Self-Referential Logo

Iraj Kalantari I-Kalantari at wiu.edu
Tue Oct 4 17:29:59 CEST 2011

On Oct 4, 2011, at 6:21 AM, William Adams wrote:

> On Oct 3, 2011, at 8:27 PM, Iraj Kalantari wrote:
>
>> At times, I produce a one-page (pdf) document (say a quiz) where there is a logo on the top left margin.
>>
>> The logo is a reduced (in size) of the typeset version of the very page (minus the appearance of a logo on the top of the logo).
>>
>> Sometimes, I do that a couple of times and the logo 'looks' identical to the regular version of the page (but, of course, unreadable are the logos as they get smaller).
>>
>> I presume, TeX can do that *efficiently* by some technique (where typesetting a couple of times continues to create a logo of the previous version of the page).
>>
>> Has this been done?
>
> Yes.

I meant 'done and made publicly available.'  Do you have a reference, please?

>> Anyone up to it?
>
> It's trivial to do, just pull in the first page of the current document (it will still be present when the typesetting run is begun) --- the problem is one needs to write up a script / counter to keep track of how deep the nesting goes and to manage it so as to keep it reasonable --- depending on the complexity of the .pdf one will eventually hit a nesting limit for the .pdf file format.

It seems beyond what I know.  But it sounds as if its trivial nature still runs into problems?

I must say as a more involved project I imagine and hope for producing a multi-page pdf file that has a logo on each page of the very same page.