[texhax] inline lists

Philip TAYLOR (Webmaster, Ret'd) P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Thu May 12 23:05:12 CEST 2011

Paul Stanley wrote:
> Hi folks,
> Is it possible to typeset lists (preferably) alphabetically marked)
> without line breaks? I have something like this in mind:
> the ideas are: (a) bla bla, (b) foo bar (c) rumpty tumpty ...
> Many thanks,
> Paul

Should be pretty straightforward, Paul.  Each item in the list will need
to be preceded by an item marker (say, \item), and the whole list
delimited by list markers (say, \list and \endlist) that create a new
local group within which the item counter can be reset (so that one
can have lists within lists).  Finally \item will need to be defined
to increment the list counter, convert it to the preferred form (in
your case, lower case letters), wrap it in parentheses, and separate
the second of these from the item by an unbreakable space.  Is
this enough, or will you need code as well ?

** Phil.