[texhax] Fwd: A few questions

Uwe Lueck uwe.lueck at web.de
Mon May 9 16:30:14 CEST 2011

More on (3) (running a file) and (2) (deleting a file)
(while somebody having experience with these matters
 better should have answered):

Ad (3): With LaTeX and the `hyperref' package, \href{run:...} seems to launch a binary or so.
I wonder what this has to do with \write18. I tried in vain to find documentation
about this on the web. Indeed I learnt about \href{run:...} only by the earlier posting

    http://tug.org/pipermail/texhax/2010-September/015701.html

(... which, however, seems not to be helpful, just a collection of jokes.)

An example of (3) seems to be the bashful package (ctan.org/pkg/bashful)
which enables launching bash scripts, so studying this package may help.
Actually, such a script may contain rm commands, so this way you could
delete files, as desired according to (2).

The reason for asking (2) may also have been "tidying up after a TeX run".
The lintex package (ctan.org/pkg/lintex) is a tool doing this.

Caveat: I have never tried these things.

Hope it helps though -- Uwe.