[texhax] initex

Heiko Oberdiek heiko.oberdiek at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 22 17:08:25 CET 2011

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 11:30:37AM -0300, hh-brasil at bol.com.br wrote:

> As the command 'initex' seems to be deleted, one has to use fmtutils now.

It isn't deleted. "initex" is invoked if the TeX compiler is
called with option -ini (TeX Live) otherwise "virtex" is used.

> QUESTION: Is there a good description how to create something like a 'big
> LaTeX' format file with a TeXlive Installation? All what I found until now
> refers to initex.

I don't know what you mean with "big LaTeX". The times of emTeX
are long gone. The memory setting of the default LaTeX format
are quite large. Where do you have problems? Some memory settings
can be set in the configuration file `texmf.cnf' (and fmtutils
make it easy to regenerate the format files).

Yours sincerely
  Heiko Oberdiek