[texhax] Fwd: [CIT]: file association in Windows 7

Heiko Oberdiek heiko.oberdiek at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 16 23:09:56 CET 2011

> I am using Windows 7 on an HP ProBook 6550b.
>
> I have certain filestypes that I wish to associate with certain
> programs.  For example, I want to associate files of type .html with
> Notepad, whereas the default is to associate them with Firefox.  I do
> this by "right click | Open With ... | Browse".
>
> Most of the time this works.
>
> But I want to associate the filetype .idx with the LaTeX Index
> Processor makeindex.exe.  I have this program on my disk and can run
> it in a command prompt window without a problem.  But when I try to
> associate this filetype with makeindex.exe it doesn't work... when I
> press "Open With... " the program makeindex.exe appears twice, and
> neither entry runs the program.

Are you sure? I have just tested it successfully (with makeindex.exe
from MiKTeX Portable). A command window is shown and closed immediately
after the program has finished. Thus I couldn't see much.
But test.ind and the test.ilg with the protocol were successfully
generated.

Yours sincerely
  Heiko Oberdiek