[texhax] How to use Win fonts under Linux?

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Fri Mar 11 23:58:08 CET 2011

On 2011-03-11 at 12:09:43 +0100, Petar Milin wrote:

 > Hello ALL!
 > I must have some Windows fonts (Trebuchet and Palatino) in my LaTeX
 > presentations. However, I use Linux (Debian testing). I tried with
 > the winfonts from CTAN, but this did not worked. Please, can you
 > help me?  What to install? How to use it?

I don't have Debian but Gentoo Linux.  Trebuchet is part of Gentoo's
corefonts package:

# emerge -s corefonts
Searching...
[ Results for search key : corefonts ]
[ Applications found : 1 ]

*  media-fonts/corefonts
      Latest version available: 1-r4
      Latest version installed: 1-r4
      Size of files: 3,842 kB
      Homepage:      http://corefonts.sourceforge.net/
      License:       MSttfEULA

I don't know how this is treated by Debian now, according to something
I found with Google you can try:

  apt-get install msttcorefonts

However, maybe the package was removed from Debian meanwhile.  I also
found:

  http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/ttf-mscorefonts-installer

Regarding the license, I must admit that I didn't check and you have
to investigate yourself.  Unfortunately Microsoft removed the license
as well as the fonts from their server, but everything is still
available at sourceforge.

I can imagine that the fonts were removed from Debian because the
license prohibits to charge money for the distribution.  This is
problematic because Debian DVDs are sold.  It doesn't necessarily mean
that there are restrictions regarding the usage of the fonts.

If in doubt, read the license file yourself.  It's on sourceforge.

In order to use these fonts, I think the easiest approach is to use
XeTeX because it can use system fonts directly (without the need to
create tfm files).

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25