[texhax] enumerate and subsections with XeLaTeX and Hebrew

Vafa Khalighi vafakhlgh at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 03:55:53 CET 2011

1 is specific to polyglossia.

for 2 see
http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/10589/fix-nested-section-numbers-in-rtl-languages-with-polyglossia/10650#10650

2 is not a bug and it is a feature. bidi is developed from a native Persian
speaker perspective and it may or may not be what other languages use.

Also this is not a good mailing list for XeTeX related questions. Please try
xetex mailing list next time.

On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 9:07 AM, Moshe Kamensky <
moshe.kamensky at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hi There,
>
> I'm having two (more) problems writing Hebrew with XeLaTeX.
>
> 1. When I'm trying to have a nested enumerate environment, I get an
>   error of the form
>
> ! Incomplete \iffalse; all text was ignored after line 12
>
>  line 12 being the first nested item. I then get no pages of output.
>  The log file contains no extra info, as far as I see. This seems
>  special to Hebrew: I tried switching to Farsi, and it disappears.
>
> 2. When I have, say, the second subsection in the first section, it gets
>   enumerated right-to-left, i.e., by ".2.1" I don't know if this is a
>   bug or a feature, but it is seems unnatural to me, and also against
>   convention. I was wondering if there is a way to make it the same as
>   in LTR text, i.e., I would like ".1.2" This one happens in Farsi as
>   well.
>
> The following example illustrates both issues (though you would need to
> comment out the nested enumeration to see the second problem)
>
> =====
>
> \documentclass{amsart}
> \usepackage{polyglossia}
> \setdefaultlanguage{hebrew}
> \setmainfont[Script=Hebrew]{Linux Libertine}
>
> \begin{document}
> \section{one}
> \begin{enumerate}
>  \item one
>  \item
>    \begin{enumerate}
>      \item a
>      \item b
>    \end{enumerate}
>  \item two
> \end{enumerate}
> \subsection{foo}
> \subsection{bar}
> \end{document}
>
> =====
>
> I would be happy to investigate myself, but I have no idea even what
> files to look at.
>
> Thanks,
> Moshe

If some one say: "You divide ten into two parts: multiply the one by itself;
it will be equal to the other taken eighty-one times." Computation: You say,
ten less thing, multiplied by itself, is a hundred plus a square less twenty
things, and this is equal to eighty-one things. Separate the twenty things
from a hundred and a square, and add them to eighty-one. It will then be a
hundred plus a square, which is equal to a hundred and one roots. Halve the
roots; the moiety is fifty and a half. Multiply this by itself, it is two
thousand five hundred and fifty and a quarter. Subtract from this one
hundred; the remainder is two thousand four hundred and fifty and a quarter.
Extract the root from this; it is forty-nine and a half. Subtract this from
the moiety of the roots, which is fifty and a half. There remains one, and
this is one of the two parts.

*Muḥammad ibn Mūsā al-Khwārizmī*