[texhax] RCA typesetting (was Re: Franklin Mark Liang's thesis)

Pierre MacKay pierre.mackay at comcast.net
Sat Jul 16 19:32:40 CEST 2011

On 07/15/2011 09:17 AM, William Adams wrote:
> On Jul 15, 2011, at 12:00 PM, Barbara Beeton wrote:
>

>> brings back
>> memories of rca's early typesetting programs,
>> page-1 and page-2.  we've come a long way ...

Was Page-1 the program that fed the RCA Videocomp?  I seem to remember
that it was.

I learned how to make digital fonts on the Videocomp, but I lost
interest when I sent tapes of them to the people at  III, who took the
machine over after RCA, and they ran them to show that the font did
work, but sent my tape baack totally erased.  Paranoia at III was
awesome.  Security (guards along a closed corridor with drawn guns) was
scarier than Lawrence-Livermore Labs, where I got the Leper treatment,
preceded by a guard ringing a bell.  "Unclean, unclean, and accursed!"

Pierre