[texhax] best way to create a short html or plain text document with a few references

Chris Ryan cryan at binghamton.edu
Sun Jan 23 06:31:42 CET 2011

For an onine class I am taking, I have to create a large number of short
(~500 word) essays, with references, and post them to our Blackboard
website. Blackboard offers a box into which to post the text. I believe
html source can be posted. The essays can't be pdf attachments.

It's simple enough to just compose in a text editor, typing the
references at the end. And that's probably what I should do.  But I
already have a .bib file full of references, so I would like to use them
if possible, and not have to re-type them. Plus I thought maybe I could
learn some new LaTeX tricks.

latex2html seems like overkill. And I don't know how to make it work
with BibTeX. All I really need as output is a single file, showing the
text and the references.

I tried making the DVI file and then using dvi2tty: line breaks were
odd, and marked by asterisks. Required a lot of hand-editing after the fact.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

--Chris Ryan