[texhax] getting started, structurally

Uwe Lueck uwe.lueck at web.de
Sat Jan 22 17:52:50 CET 2011

Just on the subject "getting started": look at the bottom of messages from texhax.
You may soon need to decide on what kind of TeX you want use.
For a  beginner, LaTeX is best, your commands will be mainly
"latex" and/or "pdflatex", or "xelatex" ... just read on there ...

todoke_SV1 <todoke.sv1 at gmail.com>, 22.01.2011 15:16:57:
> I've installed the MaxTeX distro it's up and running

I guess it's MacTeX, at some point you may face difficulties if you don't know this.
For more help with MacTeX wait patiently for Axel Retif's help.

http://ctan.org/pkg/memoir

(named most often, personally I have much sympathy for http://ctan.org/pkg/ncclatex.)

> then enter the notes,  using only a small number of
> logical classifications (definition, proof, ..) and most of the text will be math.

http://ctan.org/pkg/voss-mathmode
http://ctan.org/pkg/amslatex
and look for support on www.ams.org

Hope this helps