[texhax] latex2e usage.

Axel E. Retif axel.retif at mac.com
Sat Jan 22 00:04:53 CET 2011

On  21 Jan, 2011, at 15:55, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:

> On 21 January 2011 Axel E. Retif wrote:
>
>> On  21 Jan, 2011, at 04:33, Beverley Eyre wrote:
>>
>>> I think he didn't run texhash after the install.
>>
>> Maybe, but it seems to me that wouldn't explain why running `` sudo
>> latex file.tex '' does work, as he later said in another email.
>
> If it works for root but not for a user, then obviously the user's
> environment is broken.

What I still don't understand is why `` latex file.tex '' finds latex but not article.cls (only `` sudo latex file.tex '' finds both) ---maybe he has symlinks in /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin?

Anyway, as Herbert said, MacTeX takes very good care of the path and symlinks needed in Mac OS.

> The following commands are quite helpful for debugging:

[...]

The output of those will be very useful if Walt contacts this list again or if he posts to the TeX on Mac OS mailing list.

Best

Axel