[texhax] read argument until EOL

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Fri Jan 7 08:03:44 CET 2011

On 01/06/2011 03:21 PM, Philip Taylor (Webmaster, Ret'd) wrote:

> So can any language, but then they are not lambda macros
> at all, just named ones with reserved names. What I had
> in mind was :
>
> \def \eolsection
> {
> \begingroup
> \catcode `\^^M = \active
> \uccode `\~ = `\^^M
> \uppercase {\lambdadef ##1~}{\endgroup \message {##1}}
> }
>
> Taco, can I add this to my wish list ?!

The chance of this being implemented as an extension in luatex
is very close to absolute zero. In luatex, we are trying to move
away from the tricky macro programming language, not add to it.

Typesetting extensions that need additional primitive support is
one thing, but additions to the macro language is another thing
altogether. If you want to do foul stuff like this, use m4 as
a preprocessor ;)

For the actual problem itself (I am not on texhax but I am sure
this post will reach the list eventually) it is much simpler to
write a macro that needs a \par. That will also help clean up
the input file:

   %%%%%%%%%%%%%
   \parsection My Title

   normal text.
   %%%%%%%%

with

   \def\parsection#1\par{....}

Depending on newlines as significant whitespace is a bit alien
to how the TeX macro processing normally functions, whereas it
is quite natural to depend on paragraph breaks.

Best wishes,
Taco