[texhax] client connection limit

Peter Ragosch peter.ragosch at kabelmail.de
Mon Jan 3 18:19:28 CET 2011

Am Mon, 03 Jan 2011 12:36:18 +0100
schrieb Javier Iglesias <javier.iglesias at vd.educanet2.ch>:

> Hi,
>
> First of all, many thanks for your support to the TeX Community ;-)
> and Season Greetings !
>
> Therefore, is there anything we could do to be granted a larger
> client connection count limit ? As it is, it really limits our ability
> to maintain computer labs...

Hello Javier,
and a happy New Year.

In contrast to a larger client connection count limit, you may setup a
rsync job with reference to CTAN, syncing a local 'mirror' once a week
or
how you like.

Example (use the man page to fit your needs, like exclude MAC or
wintex pakages):
rsync -a --delete /tex-archive/systems/texlive/tlnet \
  /tex-archive/systems/texlive

line for cron:
41 3 * * * rsync -a --delete \
  rsync://rsync.dante.ctan.org/CTAN /tex-archive/systems/texlive

And then, update your lots of clients with (something like)

tlmgr -n \
  --repository /data01/tug.ctan.org/tex-archive/systems/texlive/tlnet \
  update all

There is also a page on internet and a thread about this. But I'm sorry
I didn't have the link at hand.

Cheers Peter.

> Many thanks in advance for your help in sustaining TeX teaching
> at school ;-P
>
> Best regards,
>
>    --javier iglesias
>      IT manager