[texhax] Problem with setting the path Texlive 2010

Lars Madsen daleif at imf.au.dk
Mon Feb 28 15:21:25 CET 2011

Alfredo Duplat wrote:
> Hi there:
>
> *Context:*
> I am trying to setup Texlive 2010 and Kile (2.0.85) in a Debian Squeeze
> system.
> Debian has repositories for Texlive 2009, but I need the 2010 version,
> specifically to organize my bibliography.
> I am working on my dissertation and I need to format all my references
> according to the MLA style.
>
> *At this moment:*
> 1. I install texlive via tlmgr <http://www.tug.org/texlive/tlmgr>, as a
> root. As normal user it was impossible.

you need write access in the area where you want to install it, I
usually place it in /opt where I create a folder I own

> 2. I built a dummy package to incorporate the local-texlive into apt. {the
> package manager in Debian}.
> 3. I successfully install Kile from apt. I know that because the system did
> not install texlive 2009 to fix dependencies.
>
> The *problem* is related to setting the PATH:
> I followed to the best of my knowledge these directions:
> http://www.tug.org/texlive/debian.html
>
> But I have problems with this part:
>
> PATH=/usr/local/texlive/2010/bin/i386-linux:$PATH
>
> I ran this command as a root and normal user without success.

it needs to be added to all shells being opened

on ubuntu I edit /etc/environment and simply add the texlive path to the
PATH variable there, logout, and login again and it was working.

I'm guessing you need to do something similar in debian.

BTW: which data did you use to create the dummy package?

> I also tried to edit my /home/XXX/.profile like this but nothing happened.
>
> # set PATH to TEXLIVE
> PATH=/usr/local/texlive/2010/bin/x86_64-linux$PATH; export PATH
> MANPATH=/usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf/doc/man:$MANPATH; export MANPATH
> INFOPATH=/usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf/doc/info:$INFOPATH; export INFOPATH
>
> When I try to compile a tex-file with Kile, it appears this message:
> [PDFLaTeX} finished with exit code 127. Cannot open log file; did you run
> LaTeX?
>
> Finally, thanks in advance for your help.

first of all, can you compile your document using pdflatex? (taking the
editor out of the picture for now)

Where are you compiling, do you have access there?

--

/daleif