[texhax] use of \ldots

Pierre MacKay pierre.mackay at comcast.net
Tue Feb 8 17:15:08 CET 2011

On 02/07/2011 07:32 PM, Steven Jonak wrote:
> I curious about the correct usage \ldots.  If I use it in a sentence,
> which is correct:
> Just a moment\ldots now, there we are.
> or
> Just a moment \ldots now, there we are.
> Should a space come before the \ldots or not?
>
> S Jonak
> "Maintain an even strain."

In one sense neither is correct, since $\ldots$  in any version of TeX I
have ever used works only in math mode.
I find that useful, since the $ of math mode protects the space on
either side of the macro.  There are probably several views of how to
use the three-dot graphic but, in the U. S. it is is regularly given an
interword space to both left and right.  The four-dot graphic for
sentence-end, on the other hand should not have a space to the left.  If
you want a really acceptable $\fourdots$ macro you need to build on
Knuth's macro for three dots, using a math mode dot and regular math
mode spacing.

If you are likely to need $\fourdots$ it is worth the effort.
\def\fourdots{\mathinner{\ldotp\ldotp\ldotp\ldotp}}

Some European styles seem  to prefer the three-dot graphic with no space
on either side, which is odd in a style wich often puts a space on
either side of a colon.

Pierre MacKay