[texhax] Is LaTex the product for me?

Susan Dittmar Susan.Dittmar at gmx.de
Mon Feb 7 13:57:38 CET 2011

Quoting Uwe Ziegenhagen (ziegenhagen at gmail.com):
> the package to look for is called pgfpages. I once did a pocketmod using
> this package.

@Uwe:
I disagree. Pgfpages can resize, turn and position logical pages on one
physical paper, and I use it a lot and love it. But if I understood the
documentation of pgfpages correctly, pgfpages cannot suspend shipout of
one logical page until the second (or a later) physical page. Thus, if it
deals with chunks of eight logical pages, those eight pages have to be
printed on one physical paper, and cannot be split on two physical papers
(paper sides) or more.

@Dennis:
LaTeX *can* do what you requested, using the package pdfpages. In fact, it
can rearrange the pages of any pdf document (not just those created by
LaTeX) for a booklet like the one you indicated.
So you would first generate a PDF document with the contents you want to
publish, just like any other booklet (i.e. without the rearrangement of
pages), with a page size of quarter of a letter paper. (For setting page
size you could for example use the package 'geometry'). Then, in another
latex run using a very short second document, you include the result of
this first step, rearranging the pages. For more information, see the
documentation of the 'pdfpages' package. And if that does not help you,
keep asking :-)

Hope this helps,

	Susan