[texhax] twocolumn with lineno per page centered and only once for both columns

Donald Arseneau asnd at triumf.ca
Wed Dec 14 12:49:48 CET 2011

Dieter Studer <dieterstuder at yahoo.com> writes:

> Dear support, I've been searching some info for a couple of hours now, but I
> haven't been able to find anything in the multicol or lineno documentation
> nor on-line (except for another person asking the same question without
> getting an answer).  I would like to use a twocolumn layout (preferably with
> multicol, but [twocolumn] would be fine, too) and I would like to number the
> lines in the gap between the columns. For both the left column and the right
> column I would like to use the same line number

What you ask for is clearly impossible because the lines
in the two columns are not held in registration.  However, if
you only want a ruler or a column of numbers -- not *line*
numbers -- then that looks feasible.  I don't know of a
packaged solution, but one could be concocted if it doesn't
exist already.

On the other hand, it is probably not too difficult to modify
lineno to supress one set of line numbers.

Donald Arseneau                          asnd at triumf.ca