[texhax] Justification through glyph variants

Pierre MacKay pierre.mackay at comcast.net
Sun Dec 4 17:29:28 CET 2011

On 12/4/2011 10:42 AM, Martin Schröder wrote:
> 2011/12/4 Pierre MacKay<pierre.mackay at comcast.net>:
>> Let's start with the statement that pdfTeX doesn't support Unicode.  I have
>> written a short,  simple and extendable plain TeX routine that allows me to
>> set pages of mixed English and Korean (both modern and Classical forms) from
>> the set of 256-character Unicode fonts that the Korean TeX Users Group has
>> made available.  At the price of keeping a large library of fonts rather
>> than a composite Open-Type font, it will accommodate even glyphs in  the
>> U+1FFFF world, although I have never needed to.  I hope that pdfTeX has not
>> deactivated the ordinary macros of plain TeX altogether.
> Sure, you can come a long way with 8-Bit TFMs and pdfTeX. But how do
> you get hyphenation or ligatures across these "code pages"? AFAIK TeX
> won't do that for you.
I grant that, but the question concerned Hebrew, which probably doesn't
use hyphens---Arabic certainly doesn't, and the Korean I have
encountered so far doesn't either.  (Does any CJK language ever
hyphenate?)  I can get only partial hyphenation in Polytonic Greek, but
in a full issue of either of the journals (lots of Greek) I set
regularly, I rarely have to introduce even two \- discretionary
hyphenations.