[texhax] FW: huge spacing in LaTeX with linespead

Steve Schwartz s.schwartz at imperial.ac.uk
Sun Aug 14 19:07:26 CEST 2011

Just a guess, but I'd try removing the "[H]" option to the figure to let
LaTeX put the float where it thinks would be best. You haven't shown us
what is on the next page, but perhaps it is something that LaTeX would
prefer to have start a new page. With the float position forced, LaTeX
can't do anything other than fill the page with white-space in order to
justify the bottom of the page.

You might also try using \raggedbottom to turn off the
bottom-justifying. And/or \sloppy to relax the aesthetic rules LaTeX
uses.

Also read the FAQs, e.g.,
http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=floats

HTH

Steve

On Sun, 2011-08-14 at 11:04 +0100, Javier J. Salmerón García wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I started using \linespread{1.6} and I found strange spacing phenomena
> just as the one that this friend sent me. Any ideas of how to sort this
> problem out?
>
> Thank you in advance,
> email message attachment, "Forwarded message - strange thing in latex"

Professor Steven J Schwartz        Phone: +44-(0)20-7594-7660
Head, Space & Atmospheric Physics  Fax:   +44-(0)20-7594-7772
The Blackett Laboratory            E-mail: s.schwartz at imperial.ac.uk
Imperial College London            Office: Huxley 6M67A
London SW7 2AZ, U.K.               Web: www.sp.ph.ic.ac.uk/~sjs