[texhax] Ubuntu pdflatex doesn't recognize \addbibresource{}

Philipp Stephani p.stephani2 at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 8 22:52:14 CEST 2011

2011/8/8 Christopher W. Ryan <cryan at binghamton.edu>:
> I installed biblatex via my Ubuntu disto:
>
> apt-get install biblatex

OK, that explains why the files are in the /texmf/ directory (instead
of /texmf-texlive/).

> There are no example files in  /usr/share/texmf/doc/latex/biblatex

OK, they should be in directory /usr/share/doc/biblatex/examples

> So I guess Ubuntu 10.04 installs an older version of biblatex?

The TeX packages in Ubuntu are usually one or two years old. TeX Live
proper is only updated every other year in Debian/Ubuntu, so even
Ubuntu 11.04 has packages from 2009. Biblatex is being developed quite
rapidly, so a manual from 2011 contains several functions not
implemented in a version from 2009.