[texhax] Ubuntu pdflatex doesn't recognize \addbibresource{}

Philipp Stephani p.stephani2 at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 8 08:21:36 CEST 2011

2011/8/7 Christopher W. Ryan <cryan at binghamton.edu>:
> I'm just beginning to learn biblatex, hoping it will ease the writing of
> papers with MLA style, as compared to bibtex.  Running Ubuntu 10.04.
>
> I'm studying from this document:
>
> http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/exptl/biblatex/doc/biblatex.pdf
>
> I've downloaded example files for biblatex from here:
>
> http://ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/exptl/biblatex/doc/examples/

Did you also install biblatex from there? CTAN usually contains the
newest public versions of the packages, which you might not have
installed. It is best to use the documentation and examples from your
installation. Use

texdoc biblatex

for the locally-installed manual; the example files should be in the directory
/usr/share/texmf/doc/latex/biblatex

> It fails to recognize
> the \addbibresource{} command in my preamble.

Try \bibliography instead (that command is deprecated in the newest
versions, but works anyway).