[texhax] Index in (e)plain TeX

D. R. Evans doc.evans at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 21:26:33 CEST 2011

D. R. Evans said the following at 04/21/2011 09:18 AM :

> This is the index:
>
> \readindexfile{i}
>
> That was the index
>
> ----
>
> and in the output all that appears are the lines:
>
> This is the index:
> That was the index
>
> I feel like an idiot for having to ask, but what am I doing wrong?

In an attempt to track down the problem, I have manually amended the *ind
file so that now it reads, in its entirety:

----

About to begin

\begin{theindex}

Inside begin

  \item BB84, 68

About to end

\end{theindex}

After end

----

The output produced by:

---

This is the index:
\readindexfile{i}
That was the index

---

is:

---

This is the index:
About to begin
That was the index

---

It seems like everything inside the *ind file following the \begin
statement is simply disappearing into the void.

Help, please???

  Doc

PS Before I manually edited it, the *ind file produced by makeindex looked
like this:

\begin{theindex}

  \item BB84, 68

\end{theindex}