[texhax] How can we best keep on using small caps and oldstyle figures?

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Sun Apr 17 14:38:18 CEST 2011

On Apr 16, 2011, at 12:19 PM, Pierre MacKay wrote:

> In addition, I have looked through the documentation to find any support for the independent setting of bleedbox and trimbox that seems to be offered only by a computer resident version of distiller (not offered by online distiller) and when one makes up a cover with a solid color underlay, printers insist on a bleedbox 18pt outside the trim box all round to insure against white hairlines at the edge of the cover. I could force this code into a PDF that didn't have it through a perl script, but it would be rather a bear to do, and Adobe Reader does have the virtue that it shows you that trimbox is entirely inside bleedbox with a discrete green line that is not part of the PDF.

I'm afraid I've been rather busy at work, so haven't had occasion to respond to this as I'd like (I also want more background), but for this, I can give a definitive answer --- w/ xelatex it is possible to add pdf boxes and I've posted code for doing so to the xetex mailing list --- we even use xelatex to drive the typesetting backend of Custom Stories, Inc. and the .pdfs include pdf bounding box information which is used to ensure that they are trimmed to the proper size after printing w/ bleed.

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer