[texhax] how to use \pagefillstretch and its relatives

Stan texforeverything at att.net
Sat Apr 16 18:04:52 CEST 2011

I'm trying to set up some macros that will print a full version and an
incomplete version of a document.  The incomplete version doesn't have all
of the material in the full version, but it should insert the right amount
of vertical skip so the incomplete version's stuff lines up with the
corresponding stuff in the full version.

I set up the macros so the difference in \pagetotal, \pageshrink, and
\pagestretch between each skipped block are written to a file that's
imported into the incomplete version and used to determine how much skip
to insert.  I'm not getting the information from the stretches that I want
when there's infinite stretching in a block that should be skipped in the
incomplete version.  (I tried including \pagefilstretch etc. separately,
but that didn't help.)

This would work nicely if, for example, the value of \pagefillstretch were
"1" after an occurrence of \vfill (to indicate that 1 unit of second-order
infinite stretch has been inserted), but since they're all dimensions, I
need a way to write the dimension they take on after the page is ready to
be shipped out.  Is there any way of doing that (or an easier way of
achieving the same goal)?

Thanks,

Stan