[texhax] XeLaTeX: Extra vertical space in tabbing environment with \kill?

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Fri Apr 8 22:31:21 CEST 2011

On Apr 8, 2011, at 3:50 PM, Peter Davis wrote:

> I'm trying to set up some business cards, and running into a tabbing environment behavior I don't understand.
>
> I use a line made up of \hspace and \= to define the tab position, ending the line with \kill (Kopka & Daly, Guide to LaTeX, 4th ed., pp. 102), but when I generate output, the top line of the tabbed text is about a line and a half lower than the top line of an adjacent paragraph.  I'm using textpos to position blocks of text.
>
> The example below has a block on the left with a simple paragraph, and a block containing a tabbed environment on the right.  I don't understand why the lines don't ... uh, line up.

The tabbing environment adds some space before it which for some reason isn't being discarded.

> Any help greatly appreciated!!

Instead, I'd just place things in \hboxes of pre-defined width:

\mbox{\hbox to 47bp {248.358.4420\hfill}~office}\\
\mbox{\hbox to 47bp {123.456.7891\hfill}~direct}\\
\mbox{\hbox to 47bp {123.456.7892\hfill}~cell}\\
\mbox{\hbox to 47bp {248.358.1969\hfill}~fax}%\end{tabbing}

(and wrap those into an mbox so as to prevent a line break)

Or find some more elegant environment which doesn't add the vertical space, or find out how much tabbing is adding and add that much in advance.

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer