[texhax] Placing unknown images arbitrarily by lower left corner

Thomas Schneider schneidt at mail.nih.gov
Mon Apr 4 18:11:30 CEST 2011

Peter:

You might want to check out the pstricks package.  I use it to
construct slides with powerdot.  Here's one of my first slides:

\begin{wideslide}{El Duomo, Florence, Italy}
\vspace{8.6cm}\hspace{0cm}% start at lower left point
% \psgrid(0,0)(-20,-20)(20,20)%
\hypertarget{DNAladay}{}%
\overviewlink%
\rput[bl]{0}(3.2,-0.2){%
{\rotatebox{0}%
{\scalebox{0.15}{\includegraphics*{slidesfigs/dnahelixlady.eps}}}}
}%
\end{wideslide}

On every slide I first define the lower left corner using vspace.
(The slide is a rotated page so it only goes 8.6 cm down.)  Then I use
rput to place objects, in this case an image.  If I remove the '% '
from the comment on psgrid, I get a nice 1 cm grid over the entire
image.  This makes placement precise (in cm and mm, which is more
refined than inches).

For paragraphs I use parbox inside the rput:

   \rput[tl](8.7,5.0){%
    \scalebox{0.8}{%
     \parbox[t][3.0cm][t]{3.0cm}{% \parbox[c][\height][t]{\width}%
      % T. D. Schneider and R. M. Stephens, Sequence Logos: A New Way
      % to Display Consensus Sequences Nucl. Acids Res. 18: 6097-6100,
      % 1990.
      \textbf{Schneider} \& \\ Stephens \\
      \emph{Nucl. Acids Res.} \\
      \textbf{18}: 6097-6100 \\
      1990
     }%
    }%
   }%

I put this at the top of my file:

% 2006 May 14, Herbert Voss:
% http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/graphics/pstricks/doc/pstnews1-14.pdf
% or section 3.4 in
% http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/graphics/pstricks/README
% the correct sequence is:
\usepackage{pstricks}
\usepackage{pst-node}

% see page 20-21 of the PSTricks manual:
\usepackage{pst-plot}

% see page 82 of the PSTricks manual:
% THIS WORKS using the charpath style!
% \pscharpath*[border=1pt,bordercolor=red]{working text}
\usepackage{charpath}
% see page 70 of the PSTricks manual:
\usepackage{pst-coil}

This system is nice because it gives one a completely logical x-y
coordinate system with placement of objects anywhere one wants.

Tom

  Thomas D. Schneider, Ph.D.
  National Institutes of Health
  National Cancer Institute
  Gene Regulation and Chromosome Biology Laboratory
  Molecular Information Theory Group
  Frederick, Maryland  21702-1201
  schneidt at mail.nih.gov
  toms at alum.mit.edu (permanent)