[texhax] Placing unknown images arbitrarily by lower left corner

Peter Davis pfd at pfdstudio.com
Sun Apr 3 23:14:25 CEST 2011

I've been going around and around on this, and still have not come up with a
general solution.  I'm at my wit's end.  (Apparently not a very long
distance to travel.)

The XML gives a rectangular region on the page (<fo:block-container>), a
path to an image of unknown dimensions, and possible a transform matrix to
apply to that image.

Even ignoring rotation and shear at this point, the problem is:

1) \begin{textblock}[w](x,y) sets the width and the upper left corner of the
<fo:block-container>

2) I have to get to the lower left corner to place the image with
\includegraphics.  I can do that with \raisebox or with Heiko's settobox
package, using \setboxlower, or probably 3 or 4 other technique.

3) I then also have to translate the lower left corner by an amount
specified by a transformation matrix in the XML.  This is where I'm getting
hung up, I think.  I can't find any way to both position the lower left
corner, and then translate the image by some amount relative to that.

Anyone?

Thanks for all your help, past, present and future.

-pd

--
----
The Tech Curmudgeon