[texhax] Difference between \centering and \begin{centering}...

Stephen Hicks sdh33 at cornell.edu
Sat Sep 11 19:56:06 CEST 2010

There isn't much difference.  \begin{centering} basically expands to
\begingroup\centering, while \end{centering} expands to \endgroup
because (IIRC) \endcentering isn't defined.

The reason it's not working properly with your tabular environment is
much more subtle, and unfortunately I can't give a good explanation,
other than to comment that \\ seems to do weird stuff with the
grouping (i.e. I've found that local definitions get lost between
rows), presumably expanding to something like
\endgroup\dosomestuff\begingroup, though this might actually be built
into TeX's alignment routines for all I know.  Without seeing how
you're using it, though, I can't really explain why \centering works,
though...

steve