[texhax] Callable TeX?

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Fri Oct 29 01:13:42 CEST 2010

     > I was thinking more of a real C/C++ call interface, where I could
     > call a function to compose some text, maybe after creating an
     > instance of a TeX engine, setting it's parameters, etc.

I am not aware of anything close to that.  LuaTeX has been unbundling
the typesetter, but there is no standalone C library at this point, as
far as I know.

  http://tug.org/pipermail/pdftex/2007-January/006999.html

That little project by Thanh does exist (http://runptex.sarovar.org),
but it is about encapsulating runs of pdfTeX (as a whole) in a library,
rather than the kind of piecemeal functionality Peter is describing.

Best,
karl