[texhax] minipage/parbox without pre-defining width

Susan Dittmar Susan.Dittmar at gmx.de
Mon Oct 18 15:02:12 CEST 2010

Hi folks,

for a book I would like to reproduce, I would like to automate positioning
of a special kind of blocks.

Those are small blocks (with hard-coded linebreaks and without pagebreaks,
sometimes consisting of several small paragraphs) which should be centered
in themselves. They are quite a bit smaller than the main text. Then this
block is put nearly to the right edge of the main text block.

Positioning these blocks is solved. But right now I create the block by
using \parbox. This works, but I have to provide for the width of that
block, which up to now I only can do empirically. I would love to find a
way to automate this.

Ideally I look for some relative of minipage, where I can define a maximum
width, but which shrinks to the width its contents really occupies before
it is typeset.

This is where I got stuck. Any hints on how I could archieve that?

Thanks in advance,

	Susan Dittmar