[texhax] Frequency of Reference Citations

Thomas Schneider schneidt at mail.nih.gov
Sun Nov 28 22:30:39 CET 2010

Sam:

> I've written my dissertation in LaTeX and a school specific class
> file. I've arrange the thesis in a tree-like structure with many
> separate .tex files being inputted into one master file... typical
> setup. I am wondering if now that I am done with this document, is
> it possible to get some word and reference frequency statistics. For
> example, does anyone know of a tool that could output not only the
> references I've used but also how many times I cited each reference?
> Similarly, does any know of a tool (maybe the same one?) where I can
> get a word frequency list for a document organized like mine?
>
> Sorry I forgot to mention that I am using Ubuntu as an OS and
> Emacs+AucTeX as my writing and compiling environment.

If your tree structure is a directory tree (under unix), you can
traverse the tree using my little tree script:

http://alum.mit.edu/www/toms/ftp/tree

To use it you have to make sure that your analysis function(s) are in
your path.

google:
unix tree directory traversal

On Mac OS X there a package that `man traverse` describes, apparently
programming tools for tcl.  Also, the unix 'find' program might work.

Tom

  Thomas D. Schneider, Ph.D.
  National Institutes of Health
  National Cancer Institute
  Gene Regulation and Chromosome Biology Laboratory
  Molecular Information Theory Group
  Frederick, Maryland  21702-1201
  schneidt at mail.nih.gov
  toms at alum.mit.edu (permanent)