[texhax] [pdftex] image XObjects in pdfTeX or XeTeX PDF output?

Peter Davis pfd at pfdstudio.com
Mon Nov 22 16:42:24 CET 2010

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 10:29 AM, Alexander Grahn <A.Grahn at fzd.de> wrote:

> The topic poster repeatedly asked for the Xe(La)TeX way of creating
> Form XObjects. Your code is pdfTeX specific and will definitely not work
> with XeTeX.

Thanks *VERY* much for clearing this up.  This was about my last real
concern about moving forward with XeTeX, so I'm quite comfortable with that
as a platform.

To summarize my impressions:

- I really need the ability to add and specify fonts very easily, and from
what I've learned, XeTeX seems to be preferable to pdfTeX for that.

- I need to add support for right-to-left, vertical, bidi and other writing
system variations.

- I'd like to have support for micro-typography at some point, and I gather
this has also been added to XeTeX in some fashion.

- LuaTeX seems very promising in features, but is still a work in progress.

Thank you!

-pd