[texhax] Problem with Appendices

Barbara Beeton bnb at ams.org
Fri Nov 19 20:07:37 CET 2010

On Fri, 19 Nov 2010, Uwe Lueck wrote:

    >From "amsbook" I guess this unanswered request is an AMS issue, therefore
    that Cc.

in fact, ams tech-suypport responded to
the original inquiry at once (i should
have sent a cc to texhax), and requested
some additional information.

as it turned out, at least these three
packages being used overwrote the normal
conventions of amsbook:
 - appendix.sty
 - titletoc.sty
 - titlesec.sty
so it's really not an amsbook problem.

the only "simple" solution i could find
was a real hack -- add the line
  \addtocontents{toc}{\def\chaptername{Appendix}}
immediately after the line
  \appendix
in the file.  this did the trick.

let this be a warning that not all document
classes have been tested with all possible
add-on packages, and vice versa.  and the
authors of the different classes and
packages may not be intimately familiar
with the workings of the other ones.  we
do try to be helpful, so that a user will
end up with what s/he wants, but sometimes
the circumstances are just too arcane to
provide an "elegant" or "permanent" solution.
						-- bb
    [...]

    Cheers,

        Uwe.