[texhax] General Advice on Combining Documents for a Thesis

Thomas Jacobs thomasjacobs at gmail.com
Sat May 29 04:19:23 CEST 2010

Mica,

Thanks very much for your help.

1.  The three papers are standalone entities that I am forced to
artificially combine to meet the thesis office requirements.  They
need not cross reference each other.

2.  I have Acrobat Pro 8.0.  Is there an advantage to using PDFTK over
this product?

3.  Is the pdfpages package something that I place in the tex file or
does it relate to PDFTK?

Thanks again.

Tom

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 7:11 PM, Mica Semrick <paperdigits at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all--
>
> I'm not sure if I've replied to this email correctly, so please
> forgive me in advance :D
>
> There are a few different ways  I would divide it up, and it depends
> heavily on what you need.
>
> 1. If you three papers contain cross references to each other, your
> easiest bet would be to use the \part sectioning command, and put each
> of your three papers in its own part. This way you can reference
> between each paper without conflict.
>
> 2. Use PDFTK -- this is an open source package than can merge and
> split PDF documents. I use it almost every day and love it. This is
> useful if your documents are stand-alone.
>
> 3. Use the pdfpages package. This will allow you to include the three
> seperate PDFs as your first described-- use the commands:
> \usepackage{pdfpages} in yoru preamble, then in the document body,
> \includepdf[pages=-]{file.pdf} -- the [pages=-] include all pages in
> the pdf document, but you can also specify a range of pages like
> [pages=3-5]
>
> Good luck!
>
> -M

Thomas Jacobs